Tuesday, May 24, 2011

TNF 100 – 2011 Race Review and Lessons Learnt

For this year’s event was a little different to before having been there and done it a couple of times, and given my bigger picture training for my 33 Marathons event in August I had it in my mind to complete rather than compete. But who was I kidding, when you get to the start line and the adrenalin is pumping, excitement all around, you can’t help but realise that you only get one opportunity a year to experience this. So at risk of upsetting my bigger picture training plan I competed!

Andre has completed all Asian TNF's this year!
The build up for me was interesting as my lift to the mountains pulled out the day before, but fortunately my Hong Kong based running friend, Andre, stepped in. I just had to get to the airport early Friday morning. That was an endurance challenge in itself as I was caught in the travel chaos that ensued when some guys decided to protest on the top of the Harbour Bridge, crippling the Sydney transport network. However after a taxi, train, bus, ferry, and another train I got to the airport to meet up with Andre, and legendary ultra runner from Singapore, Jeri.

Registration was such a fun time for me meeting up with so many great running friends, including many new ones who I hadn’t met in person, as well as a number of readers of my blog who introduced themselves to me.  It was so good to be in the company of such a positive and enthusiastic crowd, all united in the same goal of kicking the backside of the Blue Mountains the following day. While waiting for my crewman to arrive I joined up with Ian Dunican and Nick Wienholt and their wives for a beer and to exchange running stories. All good fun, and it turned out to be useful for me as the girls were to step in for my support crew the following day.

So toeing the start line the energy was great and I had a catch up with fellow runners from previous events, Brick, Gordi and Ian.  It was pretty cold, but I knew I’d be warming up pretty quickly once we got going. Still I did hide behind a few guys to keep out of the icy wind!

With Gordi on Landslide
The goal was for a sub 13hr run and had in my head some rough splits, although the main goal was to keep CP times down, and to make sure that I remembered to run when I could. Previously I have got into the rut of walking, without actually thinking that I could run.

I ran the first leg fairly comfortably, and the seeded start made a big difference to trail traffic. I took a fairly big fall at about 15kms on unstable ground whilst wrestling a water bottle from my belt. I actually landed on my face and little finger, and would loved to have seen how it happened. The finger hurt like hell, and swelled pretty quickly, but this was not the time to worry about that.

The golden staircase was surprisingly easy for me, as I decided to pass Gordi who I’d been running with to that point as we’d both had similar time goals. Clearly the volume of trail and hill training I had done was paying off. Out on the trail at the top of the stairs and I was running well again. 

Burning up Narrow Neck (why are the cameras always on an uphill bit?)
At CP1 I refilled one endura bottle, took a gel and a handful of lollies and was on my way. I’d had a sandwich in the previous leg, and probably drunk about 1.2l of the water in my back pack as well as a bottle of endura. I have been guilty of not getting enough fuel and fluid in early previously, so was determined to get it right. My stomach hadn’t been as settled as normal, which I put down to race day adrenalin, and had for the first time taken to eating crystallised ginger every hour or so, along with a berocca one a day sports tab every 2-3 hours.  This seemed to be working well.

Across Narrow Neck is one of my favourite stretches of the course. Great views and the chance to let fly down the hills, to the limits of control (and beyond on occasion). So a nice clear climb down Tarros Ladders and more fun on the technical trails towards CP2. I was running very smoothly and almost without thought along this section. It was as if my mind had disengaged and was just trusting my body to do what we had trained to do. My km splits along here for about 6kms were between 4:45 and 5:20 which is way faster than I’d train, but I felt pretty comfortable and was just enjoying the moment. In the back of my mind I was wondering when the psychological and physical down was going to come, but maintained a focus on the positives while I had them!

CP2, Dunphy’s Camp was another quick turnaround. I was there as Devon Crosby-Helms of the Salomon Team pulled out, which was sad to see, but also a massive boost for me as I didn’t expect to be anywhere near the professionals.  Again I grabbed a handful of lollies, a gel, and then refilled an endura bottle, as well as putting a litre of water into the bladder - just enough to get me to CP3. This is something I learnt from previous years when I would completely refill the bladder, which not only took longer, but was heavier to carry. So I had a plan of approximate volumes to take on at each CP, which turns out was a good one.

On Iron Pot ridge
Typically I don’t normally take gels, but for this race the plan was to use them sparingly, and at points when I knew there was a significant physical effort ahead. I still had my cheese spread sandwich every hour or so, and had alternate options if anything wasn’t agreeing with my stomach. Again a really good learning from previous years.

The third leg was a good one for me. I caught up with Jen Segger of the Salomon team and ran with her up Iron pot and we stayed together for a good 10kms. It was a great opportunity to chat and learn from someone who does this full time. Thanks Jen.

I took another tumble on the out and back section of Iron pot, which I blame on the video guy filming Jen! I lost my balance and got a mouthful of Blue Mountains dirt again – I don’t know what is going on with me using my face as a break, as my running partner Tylana will attest, I never fall and rarely even trip (that’s her department!)

Chatting with Jen I was telling her what to expect in the coming km’s and had clean forgotten about the climb at 48kms on Megalong Valley road (oops!). We were joined by a Kiwi, who was struggling a bit having run out of water, so I shared some with him and we plodded on. Again the hill training was paying off, as I walked briskly up the hills and then cruised easily along the flats and downs. I caught up with Chris Turnbull in his memorable outfit (!) and we trotted into CP3.
Hunting down the Pokemon - Chris!
My crewman John was here and doing a great job, but because I knew I was way ahead of my expectations, my patience was not great. I have apologised, but it goes to show how your mental state is affected after running 50+kms.  The issue was that I was putting on a head camera to get some nice video of the climb up Nellies Glen, and it was taking longer than I wanted (about 10 seconds was my tolerance limit!).  So another quick splash of Endura and about 1l of water, just enough to get me the 11kms to CP4. I also took a gel here and ate it straight away as I knew I’d need it for the climb ahead. I did this last year and it made a massive difference on the stairs.

Along this section of the Six Foot Track I must have passed 40 walkers all of whom said hi and were generally encouraging, even calling out my name as it was on the number bib. Such a great feeling, when you’ve been running for 6 hours.  I did get a twinge of cramp in my quads at this point, so stopped at a convenient tree to lean on and stretched them out. It took all of 15 seconds, but the difference was fantastic.

I have had a bit of a battle with Nellie’s Glen as it nearly beat me in 2009, so much so that I now look forward to it, eager to prove that I have it beaten. Don’t get me wrong it’s never easy, and when you feel you should be getting to the top and you look up to see you’ve still not got any daylight above you, it’s not a happy place to be. I simply focused on the next step, and maintaining momentum. This was just eating up the climb and although I had the occasional urge to stop, I kept plodding on. It is amazing how quickly a climb like that can pass if you can occupy your mind with simple repetitive tasks. 

At the top I let out a shout in a sort of caveman like fashion to signify that I have beaten the stairs again, and enjoy the gentle cruise through the tracks to the next CP. I recall having a pee along this stretch, which was one of about 6 throughout the day. I’m sure you don’t want to know that, but for me it showed that I was keeping up on my hydration and that has been a challenge in previous races. Another mini victory for the day, and one which boosted morale on the way round!

Arrival at CP4 was great, great to be indoors. I head straight for the hot noodles which have been a godsend to me in previous years, great energy, fluids and electrolytes, and they taste great. Halfway through my second I am wondering where John is, as he has the mandatory gear I need before I can leave.  Buzz Lightyear reminded me that I have a phone, so I called John who was just arriving in the car park. He had a good excuse as he was helping Andre’s crew as they didn’t have a vehicle. 

So whilst waiting I sat at the desk and had a couple of warm vege burgers, while the CP volunteers topped up my bladder, etc. I saw Wayne “Blue Dog” Gregory, who I’d met at GNW last year and took the opportunity to chat with him, and what a good thing to do it was. I really respect his ability and opinion and he said that I was looking really strong and that I’d smash 12 hours. This I couldn’t really comprehend as I hadn’t considered anything better than 12hrs 59mins! He basically put it into perspective – “You’ve got 35kms to go and nearly 5 hours to do it. Get up that Kedumba hill in daylight, and look back at all the torches of the others coming up behind you”.

Photo by Rachael of  www.australianrunner.com.au
This really resonated with me. There were all sorts of calculations going through my head as I realised that not only was sub 12 hours possible, it was very achievable.  So I grabbed the compulsory kit, or ballast as I shall call it, and legged it! Running with some of the pairs teams really helped as their fresher legs pulled me along.  I was flying along the tracks to Echo Point, with a dedicated focus on getting up “that hill” in daylight. It was like a magnet pulling me along. I was caught by a couple of other guys coming down the Giant’s Staircase, but as soon as we were running again I didn’t see them. Shortly after I passed Julie Quin, the winning lady, and we exchanged some mutual motivation.

I was loving the downhills, clocking up 3 sub 5min/kms to the bottom of “that hill”. I couldn’t avoid a soggy foot at the last ford, but figured it was only for a 20kms or so, and I could put up with it. This is where the gear came into its own. The Hokas kept me high so that I didn’t get too wet, and the Drymax socks had my feet dry again within 30 minutes, demonstrating the value of decent kit.

My favourite pic from the race
At the base of the climb I met up with Jen Segger again, who had passed me at the checkpoints because of my extended stops. She was suffering with an ankle injury, but kept on going. I was feeling really good at this point, happy in the knowledge that there was only a few kms to the CP, and there was plenty of daylight. I’d never noticed it before because it had always been dark, but the views on this section were spectacular, especially with the moon poking his head over the horizon. I ran where I could and walked the rest of the hill, passing one guy in the process. Again it was just strong walking and a focus on putting that one foot out in front that ate up the kms.

Super food!
As soon as the trail flattened out at the top I was up and running again, and needed to be as it was getting pretty cold. It was warm down in the valley by comparison. The checkpoint was a welcome sight, but one thing was missing, my crew!! This is where I saw Linda and Catherine who’d I’d met the night before, and they ran over to take on John’s role, and they did a great job, thanks girls.  John was getting some stuff from the car and turned up in time to take some photos as I finished off another pot noodle before heading off. It was my fault as I was going far faster than I had planned for!

I was keen to get moving, and made a minor error just getting the head torch (Petzel Tikka XPS) on and forgetting the hand torch. Trotting up the road I was passed by former race runner up Tim Cochrane, and I think my chat motivated him to run faster to get away from me! I clung onto his heels for a bit, but on the single track I suffered from the torch error. With just the head torch I could not get any definition of the trail and took the biggest fall yet, made worse by the fact the my mental and physical faculties at this stage were not as sharp as they might be. I saved my face this time, but gouged a chunk out of my hand, and took out a bush with my shoulder as I hit the deck solidly. 

This didn’t affect my physical ability to run, but it was a major hit to my confidence as it did hurt pretty bad and I had blood pouring down my hand and arm – I needed that blood to keep me going!

Apparently they're worth more as a pair!
So I kept Tim in sight, and was caught by Julie. We all caught up with another guy and ran in a little convoy of four up to about the 98km mark. I was using their light as a means of getting a better view of the rocks and roots along the way.  By this point I knew I was home and dry for a sub 12 run, all bar me taking another fall, so eased off a little and enjoyed counting off every metre as I went. Thinking back to that convoy, we were moving a quite a clip given that we’d been running all day. It’s a real mind over matter moment, when the motivation it there, and the pull from the finish line magnet was getting stronger.

Running up the golf course to the finish line is a great feeling, you can hear the supported and smell the sausages, what more motivation could you want to get running.  As I crossed the line I mustered the energy for a celebratory heel click, something I fear may become a trademark for me now having done it last year too, but it is just a final venting of excitement and satisfaction at a job well done.
Yee haaaa!
So posing for photos after I’m given the formal time of 11:40:55 with a placing of 22nd and I’m very happy with that, and it takes a good few hours for it to sink in. Especially when I was sitting in the bar after a shower, with a beer and we commented that last year at this point I still hadn’t finished. A 1 hour 45min pb!

It was great to hang around and see everyone finishing, especially friends, but also just the raw emotion you only really see at the end of an ultra, when 100kms of trails and many hours of battling with yourself have stripped back the façades we often hide behind.

I was lucky enough to get a mention in the presentation, but sadly for the wrong reasons...I was awarded a first aid kit to repair the damage from my falls :)

So what I learnt this year can be summarised quite easily. You need to prepare well, and train hard for the conditions you’re going to be facing. The extra kms and volume of intense hill training I did paid massive dividends.

Have a nutritional plan and stick to it where you can, but also have flexibility should things not feel the way you would expect them to.

Crewing is exhausting - unsung heroes of the day
Get decent gear. I cannot thank the guys at 2ndSkin, Linebreak, Drymax and Hoka enough for their support. For the first time ever I did not need to change any gear throughout the race. I wore a Linebreak t-shirt under my 2ndSkin t-shirt, with the Linebreak shorts and calf guards. The benefit of their gear has been huge for me, not only in my longer term recovery, bur most importantly for performance improvement assisting my recovery during the race. My muscles felt fresh at the bottom of the hills giving me that extra vigour to attack the uphills. Also I had no chaffing whatsoever which makes the shower after enjoyable rather than torturous. 

The Drymax socks worked their magic again with no blisters, and almost completely dry feet at the finish. And the Hoka Mafates exceeded my expectations given that I’d only run about 30kms in the pair I raced in. 

The one final thing I would say is enjoy it! A number of people have commented on my photos, specifically that I am smiling in them, and that is because I was having a ball out there. Not just from a performance perspective, but the scenery and most importantly the people you meet. I’m sorry if I forget your names (you know who you are!), there were lots of new friends made this weekend, and I look forward to seeing you out there at the next event. 

Run Happy,
“There is no duty we so underrate as the duty of being happy. By being happy we sow anonymous benefits upon the World” – Robert Louis Stevenson


  1. very impressive, i was a walker slogging it out on the six foot track but missed you.....done 1 marathon after 20kg weight loss....im afraid your efforts might be unatainable but i enjoy reading about your exploits

  2. Super run Andrew, congratulations! This was so great to read. Gives me motivation and inspiration to go and do those tough races sitting at the back of my head currently. Thanks for sharing this wonderful experience! Rest well! I need to get my hands on some Hokas.

  3. Hey Paul, that's how we all start, and 20kgs weight loss is tremendous. I think we can all surprise ourselves by what we are capable of if we just put our mind to it.
    Thanks Johann, I'm glad is inspires as it's really got me fired up for my next challenge. I guess it is the value of racing, as you truly see the benefits of training.
    Not much time for rest now though as I have to get into training everyday working towards twice a day within a month! That was Pam Reed's advice and far be it from me to question her knowledge and experience :)

  4. Great race report Andy, thank you. I remember running with you during the first leg and you were in a couple of my photos. I didn't get to say hi as you seemed to be running a bit quicker than I wanted. Congratulations on an awesome race and good luck for August and your 33 Marathons.

  5. I saw your report through my friend Johann, great report! And what a super race, congrats! The pictures are awesome and I think you really conquered the course both mentally and physically. Just did my first serious hard TNF trail race at Bear Mountain, NY (only 13.1 miles) recently and not sure if I like these neck breaking trails, BUT you have inspired me to keep working! Cheers!

  6. Hey Ben, Thanks, it just fell into place on the day. I read your report, sorry to hear of your challenges along the way, but well done on 83kms. You'll be back next year stronger and with a point to prove I'm sure.
    Hi Jennifer, Thanks for the kind words and it's great to think that the report has inspired you to go out there for more. I find the more I do the more I want to do, constantly pushing ourselves to and beyond perceived limits. Keep at it and you'll surprise yourself for sure :)

  7. Gday Andy. Congrats on an awesome run. I spoke to you in the bar at rego about ITB and the great advice you gave on this blog....

    Well the ITBS came back but only after 70k's, which was 20 more than I had ever run before, so I was able to hobble it in to the finish line.

    Thanks again for your advice.



  8. Congrats on a fantastic run! It's so fantastic and uplifting when everything goes as it's supposed to! Keep smiling!

  9. Hi Ben, Well done on such a good run, to finish with ITB issues is pretty impressive. You just need to let it heal up properly now, and keep at the Walt Reynolds special.
    Thanks Pigtail(!) yep, it's great when the hard work pays off. It make the speed bumps, or in my case big falls, seem insignificant, and you can just focus on the results :) :) :)

  10. Nice time. Congrats! Perhaps, it is time for you to replace your blog picture. Both are from TNF anyway.

    You running GNW100 this year?

  11. Thanks Jon, I guess the blog could do with a fresh look, just need to find the time to do it!

    Would like to do GNW, just haven't looked beyond August yet given the size of the task of running 1400km in 16 days. I'll probably enter and if I survive, then I'll give it another go!!

  12. Hi Andy, Love youe work mate. I have been reading your blog for about 6 months and there's lots of great info in there for newbies like me.

    This was my first TNF 100 and first solo ultra (done a few 100km team events like Kokoda Challenge) and though I swore at the end it would be my last I am already thinking of next year :-)

    My preparation was hampered by a nasty back injury which meant I couldn't run for most of 5 weeks prior to the event so I was always going to do it tough and have plenty of sucking it up to do but the two things that I really struggled with
    were my nutrition and the cold.

    I was very nauseaus and extremely cold during the last 20km. So now I will be going back over many of your postings and actually paying attention and trying out some of your ideas. Pain is a great teacher!

    In the end I finished in 17:33 which I am ecstatic with under the circumstances. But I keep thinking that there might be a silver buckle with my name on it out there somewhere if only I am brave enough to go looking for it.

    Thanks for sharing your experience.


  13. Hi Jeff, thanks for reading and glad you like it.

    I think we all go through those emotions after an event, only to forget the tough time the following day and sign up for next year!

    That's a great time for a first outing, especially carrying an injury. There is a silver buckle out there with your name on it for sure. It's just a case of committing to getting out there and putting in the yards, but in such a way that you can minimise injury risk (although your situation wasn't running related it would seem) and fit things in around our normal daily lives.

    Hope you have fully recovered now. Having that buckle in mind is a great goal and motivator.

    Best of luck,